Classical 89.5 KMFA-FM is a non-profit, listener-supported radio station whose mission is to uplift, entertain and educate Central Texans by providing the best in classical music and cultural programming. KMFA began broadcasting on January 29, 1967 by playing the William Tell Overture.
An all-classical public radio station in Austin, TX, KMFA features both locally produced and nationally distributed programming from Public Radio International, American Public Media and National Public Radio. On average, KMFA serves a weekly audience of approximately 90,000 listeners.
KMFA relies on the majority of its funding from listener and business contributions.
As an educational and cultural institution, KMFA strives to enhance the region’s cultural environment by:
- Playing a wide variety of classical music of the highest quality
- Developing a greater understanding and appreciation of classical music throughout the community
- Utilizing community musical resources to promote classical music and increase audiences for area artists
- Being responsive to our members while expanding our listener base
- Conducting business with the highest broadcast and ethical standards
For more information on KMFA, visit our website at www.kmfa.org